Offering assistance to India in meeting the humanitarian challenge posed by the Chennai deluge, the US condoled the loss of lives in the worst flooding faced by the city in a 100 years. “The US stands ready to assist the people of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, as well as the Government of India as they face the worst flooding in decades,” State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner said in Washington.
Mr Toner said the US was in touch with the Indian government to discuss ways in which it can provide any assistance at a “difficult time”. So far the US had not received any request for assistance from India, he said. “We’ve offered our assistance. Certainly, India is a very developed government with its own domestic services or capabilities to provide emergency assistance,” he added. “That said, it’s something we normally do especially in the cases of strong partners like India…where we offer whatever assistance we can in the aftermath of natural disaster,” Toner said.
Mr Toner also noted that on December 3, the US Consulate General in Chennai issued an emergency message for American citizens, warning of severe flooding taking place in the region.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi