A few days after the Seventh Central Pay had Commission submitted its report, the armed forces have begun expressing dissent against some of the proposals. Not happy with the recommendations, a high-level tri-services meeting on December 3 identified issues of immediate concern that the military will take up with the government.
A few key issues were agreed upon at the meeting, which would be presented in the form of a written submission soon. This includes pending concerns from the previous pay commission that defence officials claim have again been overlooked. The issue also found a mention at the Navy Day press meet of Navy Chief Admiral Robin Dhowan, who refrained from getting into any details but indicated that there could be some thorny issues.
One of the issues that the armed forces demanded was hardship risk-allowance. The armed forces at present are granted allowances based on a risk and hardship matrix with the highest allowance of Rs 31,500 per month going to those posted in Siachen. They were hoping to see the pay commission grant them the option of a Special Disturbance Allowance (SDA), which is accorded to their counterparts in civil services and paramilitary forces.
The other issues included a disability pension and parity with the Indian Police Service.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldMarch 2, 2024Jaishankar charts India’s ascent to a leading power
- India and the WorldMarch 1, 2024India-Mauritius Connect: From Runways to RuPay
- India and the WorldFebruary 28, 2024Gaza crisis: Jaishankar pitches for sustainable solution, says terror unacceptable
- India and the WorldFebruary 26, 2024Raisina Call: It’s time for a female UN Secretary-General