US President Donald Trump has re-tweeted a short clip in which he dons the character of Baahubali from the hit eponymous film to show that he eagerly waits to meet with his great friends in India next week. The clip shows the US president as a great savior bringing peace to his kingdom with an accompanying a message saying that he is looking forward to being with “great friends in India.”
President Trump touches down in Ahmedabad on February 24 on a two-day visit to India. He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation including First Lady Melania Trump, daughter Ivanka Trump, son-in-law Jared Kushner and a galaxy of top American officials. “Look so forward to being with my great friends INDIA!” Trump said in the tweet on February 22.
Officials said over 1,00,000 people will attend their grand welcome function, dubbed Namaste Trump, organised at the giant Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad. It bears a close resemblance to the ‘Howdy, Modi!’ rally in Houston last year in which Mr Trump was the guest of honor.
Earlier this week, President Trump had said that high Indian tariffs hit the US “very hard” but he would “talk business” when he meets PM Modi next week. “I’m going to India next week and we’re talking trade. They’ve been hitting us very hard for many, many years,” Mr Trump had said at the ‘Keep America Great’ rally in Colorado on February 20. He told his supporters that he “really likes” PM Modi but he would only make deals “if they’re good deals because we’re putting America first. Whether people like it or not, we’re putting America first.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0
- Events/Seminar2023.04.14Inclusion, Global South to guide India’s G20 presidency