With Rohingya militants targeting Myanmarese security forces, India has voiced “serious concerns,” and rallied to the support of the Myanmarese government at this “challenging moment”.
New Delhi’s expression of support came as 89 people, including a dozen security forces, were killed as Rohingya militants targeted border posts in northern Rakhine State.
The Rohingya issue is expected to figure in discussions between the two sides during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Myanmar next month.
“India is seriously concerned by reports of renewed violence and attacks by terrorists in northern Rakhine State of Myanmar. We are deeply saddened at the loss of lives among members of the Myanmar security forces,” said Ravessh Kumat, spokesperson of India’s external affairs ministry.
“Such attacks deserve to be condemned in the strongest possible terms. We hope that the perpetrators of these crimes will be brought to justice and we extend our strong support at this challenging moment to the Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar,” Mr Kumar said in New Delhi.
Rakhine state plunged into a spell og violence after Rohingya Muslims belonging to the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) attacked 30 outposts in Maungdaw, Buthidaung, and Rathedaung townships.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi