Appreciating India’s vibrant democracy, the iconic Tibetan leader said: “Barring a few exceptions, this country is the most stable country in comparison to others.” “The Constitution of India based on secularism has brought good results here,” he stressed.
The Dalai Lama, who has been living in exile in Dharmsala, hill resort town in Himachal Pradesh for nearly five decades, also called for people-to-people contacts between India and Pakistan saying, “it’s very important, it must continue.”
“Conflicts over religion are taking place sometime which is not good. We must bring everybody close and develop trust. Because serious matter cannot be solved through mistrust,” the spiritual leader said while addressing a global conference on “Strengthening Democracy in Asia: Participation, Inclusion and Rights”.
Taking note of the recent attacks against minorities and religious places, and disturbances created by political or military leader for their own propaganda, the Dalai Lama said that people should continue to live close to each other and that’s the only way to build trust.
Speaking about India-China relations, he said that India should welcome and facilitate the visit of Chinese students and Buddhist pilgrims to the country.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What they Say2021.07.29Negotiation the only path to achieve peace in Afghanistan: Blinken
- Diplomacy2021.07.28US pledges $25 million for vaccines in India, will end pandemic
- Diplomacy2021.07.28Jaishankar, Blinken discuss Afghanistan, Quad
- The Power of India2021.07.26On Kargil Vijay Diwas we pay homage to all those who lost their lives in Kargil protecting our nation : Modi