A top Chinese official said that some people from the northwest province Xinjiang are participating in the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group activities.
“The organisation (IS) has growing international influence and Xinjiang is affected by it. We’ve busted a terrorist cell in Xinjiang run by those who have returned from fighting with the organisation,” Zhang Chunxian, chief of the Communist Party of China, said on March 10.
Another top official talked about the growing usage of internet to propagate terror.
“Some people in Hotan prefecture in southern Xinjiang have been influenced by the IS; that influence is also felt in other parts of the region,” said the prefecture’s commissioner Eziz Musar.
“Authorities have to put this extremist content on their watch list and enforce the law by accelerating the crackdown on those who spread such illegal information,” Eziz added.
Hundreds of people have lost their life in ethnic conflicts in Xinjiang since 2009.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2023.03.23Chinese diplomat cautious against third-party interference in border dispute with India
- India and the World2023.03.20Japan PM seeks India’s central role in updated Indo-Pacific strategy
- India and the World2023.03.15Why India-US semi-conductor agreement matters
- Diplomacy2023.03.11India-China conflict likely to escalate: US intelligence report