Ahead of presenting its first full budget on February 28, the Indian government has underlined that the country’s economy is the fastest growing large economy in the world, with GDP growth at 7.4 percent and stressed that inflation was at a record low.
In his presidential address to joint session of parliament February 23, India’s President Pranab Mukherjee said that inclusive growth was a top priority of the government, and it was committed to expand the job market.
“Inflation and food inflation, in particular, are at a record low due to a number of decisive measures taken by the government,” President Mukherjee said while addressing the members of two houses of parliament on February 23.
Mr Mukherjee underscored the government’s commitment to expand the job market and bring transparency and accountability in enforcing labour related regulations. He also stressed on the government’s determination to reduce expenditure, GST and bring back black money.
“Our external sector is now far more resilient, particularly with a moderate current account deficit and a broadly stable rupee. Our foreign exchange reserves have been substantially augmented,” the president said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa