The crucial budget session of the Indian parliament began on February 23 with President Pranab Mukherjee stressing on the government’s unflinching commitment to inclusive growth, protecting the interest of the poor and tackling pressing national challenges like terrorism, black money and corruption.
“The fundamental tenet of my Government is Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas– All Together, Development of All. Within a span of nine months, my government has articulated and embarked on a comprehensive strategy for unleashing the full potential of our country and its precious resource of 125 crore people,” Mr Mukherjee said in his address to the joint session of Indian parliament.
Alluding to a host of pioneering initiatives taken by the BJP-led NDA government to stimulate national resurgence and economic rejuvenation, the president said: “A strong beginning has been made. A promising future awaits us.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on his part, reached out to the opposition and hoped that the budget session will be an opportunity to work together and produce constructive outcomes for the nation.
Here are the highlights of presidential address:
- Inclusive growth, including progress of the most vulnerable sections, is the topmost priority of government: President.
- Government committed to providing a toilet in every school by August 15
- My govt has taken several measures to empower and protect dignity of women
- My govt created a new Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship with the theme “Hunar hai to Kalyan hai”
- A new national policy for school development and entrepreneurship is in the offing: President
- Education is the priority of priorities for my Government for which Padhega Bharat, Badhega Bharat was launched
- Education is the top priority for my govt
- Cleanliness an article of faith for the government
- Direct benefit transfer being implemented with new vigour
- My Government has attached highest importance to sustainable socio-economic growth of rural India
- Coverage under jan dhan yojna close to 100%
- The government believes in the fundamental tenet of ‘sabka saath sabka vikas’
- My Govt is pledged to work for the welfare of the poor, the marginalized & the vulnerable sections of the society
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa
- India and the World2020.07.01From G7 to G11: Australian envoy, top experts to unpack new world order
- Diplomacy2020.06.30Ladakh killings: France expresses deep solidarity with India