Speaking at The Economist India Summit on September 11, India’s Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal underlined that the new government will extend its support to domestic manufactures of solar panels and is working on a five-year plan.
He added that a Rs. 200-crore (32 million USD) research and development pilot project to examine the potential of solar and thermal power with IIT Jodhpur has been approved.
The new administration in Delhi has made a major push to attract investment, both domestic and international, into India’s budding clean energy sector.
On September 2, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed agreements with the Small Industries Development Bank of India and the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited to provide official development assistance (ODA) of 30 billion Japanese Yen (2.8 billion USD) each to the two institutions to enhance energy accessibility in India.
India, which became the world’s third largest producer of electricity in the year 2013 with 4.8% global share in electricity generation, still depends on coal as its major energy source for electricity.
In electricity generation alone, coal accounted for a 59%, while renewable energy sources including hydroelectricity account for 29% of the energy source. The rest was sourced from natural gas (9%), nuclear (2%) and oil (1%).
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific