Amit Shah, a close aide of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the canny strategist who is widely seen as the man behind BJP’s blockbuster victory in the Hindi heartland of UP in the 2014 parliamentary elections, has been appointed the president of Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP), India’s ruling party.
Shah succeeded veteran party leader Rajnath Singh, who is now the Home Minister of India.
The decision was announced by the BJP’s parliamentary board, the party’s highest decision-making body with party stalwarts, including Prime Minister Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Urban Development Minister Nitin Gadkari and Rajnath Singh reaching a consensus on Amit Shah’s name.
The change of guard at the BJP comes at a time when the party is getting ready for elections in key states like Maharashtra and Haryana.
Amit Shah, known as a master strategist, has won many admirers in BJP. He played a stellar central role in the BJP’s spectacular performance, winning the party the highest-ever tally in Uttar Pradesh, India’s most populous state, tipping the scales in his favour, making him the head of India’s ruling party.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism
- India and the World2022.09.23India calls for ending Ukraine conflict, targets China on terror
- India and the World2022.09.16SCO in Samarkand: Modi pitches for enhancing connectivity
- In Conversation2022.09.16India has a big role to play in SCO: Uzbekistan’s SCO coordinator