In a boost to India, the US has condemned China’s “military aggression” against India along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and pledged its support anew for India’s rise as a major global power. The close coordination between the United States and India has been pivotal as India confronts the threat posed by Beijing along the Line of Actual Control, said outgoing US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster.The National Defence Authorisation Act (NDAA) law says that China “should work with” India towards de-escalating the situation along the LAC through existing diplomatic mechanisms and refrain from attempting to settle disputes through coercion or force.
In less than a year, the US Congress condemned China for its belligerence towards neighbouring countries as well as ethnic minorities in its own land.
In over an hour-long talk entitled “Ambition and Achievement in the U.S.-India Partnership” detailing developments in the bilateral relationship from 2017, Mr. Juster said “no bilateral relationship in the world is as broad, complex and rich in substance as that of the United States and India”. Batting for stronger India-US defence partnership, Mr Juster added that “the US recognises that India desires to produce more of its military equipment within the country” and underlined that the US looks forward to the growing partnership between Washington and New Delhi in this effort.“As this process unfolds, India will likely need to develop certain key capabilities with the careful use of outside procurements. This is expected to include fighter aircraft, which have the potential to transform our defense industrial cooperation,” he added.
Mr Juster stated that the US and India are committed to strengthening defence and security cooperation and pointed out that in the past four years, the two countries have purposely deepened this cooperation to keep our nation safe from a growing array of threats and to provide security beyond our own borders.The envoy underlined closer partnership between the US and India in the Indo-Pacific region.”The Indo-Pacific is particularly significant for the US-India relationship because it recognizes the reality that India and the Indian Ocean are inextricably tied to East Asia and the Pacific,” he said.
“For the US-India relationship, the Indo-Pacific means that, at a time of great change and challenge, we see India as a critical partner in preserving and expanding the peace and prosperity that have underpinned this dynamic region.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific