In a calibrated and cautious response, India has called for a “peaceful resolution” of the Ukraine crisis through “sustained diplomatic efforts” for “long-term peace and stability” in the region and beyond.
“We have been closely following the developments relating to Ukraine, including the ongoing high-level discussions between Russia and the US. Our Embassy in Kyiv is also monitoring local developments,” said Arindam Bagchi, spokesperson, India’s Ministry of External Affairs.
“We call for a peaceful resolution of the situation through sustained diplomatic efforts for long-term peace and stability in the region and beyond,” he stressed. This was the first statement by New Delhi on speculation about a possible Russian invasion of Ukraine and the US-Russia conflict that could erupt over it.
“India’s cautious response emanates from its careful consideration of its relations with the US and Russia. India’s response to the Ukraine crisis reflects a delicate diplomatic balancing act as it seeks to juggle its strategic partnership with the US and Russia,” said Manish Chand, CEO and Editor-in-Chief, India Writes Network and India and The World magazine.
In New Delhi’s estimate, the chances of the current Russian brinkmanship over Ukraine leading to a Russian invasion followed by an all-out military conflict are not very high. But if the worst-case scenario materialises, it will adversely impact regional peace, and by extension India’s interests. Over 18,000 Indian students study in Ukraine.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.09.29Modi’s Tokyo visit: Abe power will continue to propel India-Japan ties
- Diplomacy2022.09.28War of narratives: Jaishankar takes on the US media for its “biased” coverages
- Diplomacy2022.09.28Days after Modi-Putin meeting, Lavrov backs India for UNSC seat
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody