In a calibrated and cautious response, India has called for a “peaceful resolution” of the Ukraine crisis through “sustained diplomatic efforts” for “long-term peace and stability” in the region and beyond.
“We have been closely following the developments relating to Ukraine, including the ongoing high-level discussions between Russia and the US. Our Embassy in Kyiv is also monitoring local developments,” said Arindam Bagchi, spokesperson, India’s Ministry of External Affairs.
“We call for a peaceful resolution of the situation through sustained diplomatic efforts for long-term peace and stability in the region and beyond,” he stressed. This was the first statement by New Delhi on speculation about a possible Russian invasion of Ukraine and the US-Russia conflict that could erupt over it.
“India’s cautious response emanates from its careful consideration of its relations with the US and Russia. India’s response to the Ukraine crisis reflects a delicate diplomatic balancing act as it seeks to juggle its strategic partnership with the US and Russia,” said Manish Chand, CEO and Editor-in-Chief, India Writes Network and India and The World magazine.
In New Delhi’s estimate, the chances of the current Russian brinkmanship over Ukraine leading to a Russian invasion followed by an all-out military conflict are not very high. But if the worst-case scenario materialises, it will adversely impact regional peace, and by extension India’s interests. Over 18,000 Indian students study in Ukraine.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2023.06.02Mutual respect and complete consensus,that is the hallmark of BRICS : Jaishankar
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0