“UK PM Johnson has accepted the very generous invitation to attend India’s Republic Day celebrations in January, which is a great honor,” Mr Raab, who is on a visit to India from December 14-17, said after meeting his counterpart S. Jaishankar in New Delhi. He added that Mr Johnson has invited PM Modi to join the UK-hosted G7 summit next year. On his part, Mr Jaishankar said that Mr Johnson’s acceptance of the invitation was “symbolic of a new era in Indo-UK ties”. The UK has been looking at ramping up trade relations with India and other economies even as it continues to negotiate a post-Brexit trade deal with the European Union. These talks hold significance amid growing concerns in some quarters that a separation from the EU without a trade agreement could cripple the British economy in the long-term.
“I am absolutely delighted to be visiting India next year at the start of an exciting year for Global Britain, and look forward to delivering the quantum leap in our bilateral relationship that Prime Minister (Narendra) Modi and I have pledged to achieve,” Mr Johnson said in a statement.“As a key player in the Indo-Pacific region, India is an increasingly indispensable partner for the United Kingdom as we work to boost jobs and growth, confront shared threats to our security and protect our planet.”South African President Cyril Ramaphosa was the Chief Guest at the 70th Republic Day celebrations in 2019.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Business with India2021.09.16India, UK eye interim trade deal, aim for $30 billion target
- India and the World2021.09.09BRICS@15 summit: Modi calls for making BRICS more result-oriented
- India and the World2021.09.03India, Russia deepen Far-East connect ahead of Putin’s visit
- China Connect2021.08.26China set to play a bigger role in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan