The death of India’s iconic leader, poet-politician and three-time prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee on August 16, 2018 marked the end of an era in the country’s politics. A singular politician-statesman and a stirring orator, Vajpayee inspired respect and admiration from across the political spectrum. Born in 1924 in Gwalior, Vajpayee became the first non- Congress PM to serve a full five-year term as the leader of the world’s most populous democracy (1999-2004).
A man of many parts, Vajpayee will be remembered for his witty one-liners and profound wisdom, as crystallized in his speeches and poems.
Vajpayee, in His Own Words
Here are some of Vajpayee’s oft-quoted sayings that encapsulate multiple strands of his worldview.
Ø Our aim may be as high as the endless sky, but we should have a resolve in our minds to walk ahead, hand-in-hand, for victory will be ours.
Ø People want government to deliver – here and now.
Ø India has the sanction of her own past glory and future vision to become strong – in every sense of the term.
Ø India is not secular, then India is not India at all.
Ø No guns but only brotherhood can resolve the problems.
Ø I would like that no citizen of the state feels alone and helpless. The entire nation is with them.
Ø I dream of an India that is prosperous, strong and caring. An India, that regains a place of honour in the comity of great nations.
Ø Quiet diplomacy is far more effective than public posturing.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa
- India and the World2020.07.01From G7 to G11: Australian envoy, top experts to unpack new world order