By Shweta Aggarwal
BERLIN/NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi held his maiden meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in the historic German capital and discussed ways to intensify strategic and economic partnership with Europe’s largest economy and tech powerhouse.
PM Modi was accorded a ceremonial guard of honour and received by Chancellor Scholz at the Federal Chancellery in Berlin. The two leaders thereafter met in one-on-one format followed by delegation level talks.
“Discussions covered key areas of bilateral cooperation under the overall strategic partnership, as well as regional and global developments,” said a terse statement by India’s Ministry of External Affairs.
Issues relating to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and India-Germany cooperation in the Indo-Pacific figured prominently in discussions, reliable sources told India Writes Network.
The long-standing commercial ties between India and Germany form one of the pillars of our Strategic Partnership, said PM Modi in a departure statement ahead of his three-nation trip to three European countries. Berlin is the first stopover for PM Modi’s whirlwind tour, which also includes Copenhagen and Paris.
“The first meeting between PM Modi and German Chancellor Scholz is important and will serve as an opportunity for the two leaders to forge personal rapport. Over the last few years, ever since coming to power in 2014, PM Modi had developed personal equations with Chancellor Angela Merkel which helped a great deal in advancing India-Germany partnership,” said Manish Chand, foreign policy analyst and Editor-in-Chief, India Writes Network and India and The World.
Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met his German counterpart Annalena Baerbock and discussed the Russia-Ukraine conflict and the Indo-Pacific.
“Good conversation with FM @ABaerbock. Reviewed our bilateral cooperation. Discussed Ukraine conflict & Indo-Pacific. Signed agreement on direct encrypted connection between the two Foreign Offices,” tweeted Jaishankar.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific