Nearly 10 months after the BRICS grouping of emerging economies firmed up the contours of a trailblazing multilateral bank for developing countries, India has named Kundapur Vaman Kamath as the first head of the BRICS Development
In a give-and-take, the leaders of the BRICS countries has decided at their summit in Fortaleza, Brazil, in July last year that the headquarters of the New Development Bank will be located in Shanghai and the first president of the bank will be an India.
The 67-year-old Kamath is the non-executive chairman of India’s second largest bank (by asset size and market capitalization), the ICICI bank and India’s third largest IT firm Infosys.
Kamath, an alumni of NIT, Surathkal and IIM Ahmedabad, had worked with the Asian Development, Bank for nearly a decade from 1988-1996, getting a first-hand experience of the East Asian economic crisis while he was there.
India’s industry bodies have hailed the appointment of Mr Kamath. PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry has welcomed the appointment of Mr Kamath to build BRICS into a global institution. “Kamath is one of the sharpest and finest minds in the Indian financial sector who guided the ICICI from development to commercial banking. In addition, his stint with ADB also made him contribute so much to the financial sector,” said the industry body.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi
- Diplomacy2021.09.24India, Australia PMs discuss Covid-19, clean energy amid AUKUS row
- China Connect2021.09.24Chinese envoy cautious India against Quad ‘clique politics,’ seeks better ties