The first “I2U2” summit has finally taken off, with India, Israel, US and UAE agreeing to advance practical cooperation in areas ranging from food security to energy and space.
The virtual summit, held on July 14, was attended by India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi US President Joe Biden, Israel Prime Minister Yair Lapid and UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
“This is a meeting of strategic partners in the true sense. We are all good friends too, and we all have common perspectives and common interests as well. I2U2 has set a positive agenda right from today’s first summit,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said while virtually addressing the summit of the West Asia Quad. “Our cooperative framework is also a good model for practical cooperation in the face of increasing global uncertainties,” said PM Modi after the talks. “I am confident that with ” I2U2″, we will make significant contributions to energy security, food security and economic growth on a global scale,” he said.
Under the ” I2U2″ framework, the four countries have agreed to increase joint investment in six key areas of water, energy, transport, space, health and food security.
The major takeaways of the inaugural summit include the UAE pledging around US$ 2 billion to develop a series of Integrated Food corridors across India and a hybrid renewable project to be set up by the four countries Dwarka, Gujarat, consisting of 300 MW of wind and solar capacity.
The food parks would deploy climate smart technologies to reduce food wastage and spoilage, conserve fresh water at the same time, and also employ renewable energy sources.
“The first I2U2 summit shows that this new Middle East Quad is serious about joint projects and making a difference to the region. This Quad seeks to blend mutual strengths of the four countries – Capital, Expertise and Markets – in promoting inclusive transformative development in the region,” said Manish Chand, well-known foreign policy expert and Editor-in-Chief, India Writes Network and India and The World magazine.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2022.07.20Jaishankar outlines new triad for India-Africa ties: health digital and green growth
- Diplomacy2022.07.20India, Africa co-partners in economic growth: Piyush Goyal
- India and the World2022.07.15I2U2 Quad unveils plans for making India regional food hub
- News2022.07.11Modi unveils National Emblem cast on the roof of the new Parliament