On its part, India has strongly objected to a bridge that the Chinese have constructed in their side of the contentious region of Chumar in Ladakh.
These views were expressed during a flag meeting of commanders of army units of the two countries based along the border, held on September 25.This meeting was requested by the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China.
Reportedly, China has also asked India to stop digging of canals and even destroy those which have been constructed with funds from the MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) in Demchok sector of Ladakh.
However, India has refused to destroy these canals by pointing out that they are within its territory. The two countries have been engaged in a stand-off since September 10 while tensions have waxed and waned, but not ended even though China’s President Xi Jinping and India’s Prime Minster Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks during the formers visit to India on September 17.
During the visit, Modi in his talks with Xi raised the issue of repeated border incursions by the PLA and called for immediate resolutions to their decades old border dispute.
Meanwhile, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval is monitoring the situation along LAC on a regular basis, and India’s Army has been instructed to thwart further attempts by the Chinese to advance into India’s territory.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific