In another suicide attack, Turkey has once again borne the brunt of terrorists. An explosion in the heart of Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet tourist district killed around ten people and wounded 15 people on January 12. The Sultanahmet square, close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia is a major tourist area of Turkey’s most populous city.
The authorities are investigating the type of explosive used and who might have been responsible for the attack, according to the Istanbul governor’s office . It said 10 people were killed and 15 wounded but gave no further details. The blast comes just over a year after a female suicide bomber blew herself up at a police station for tourists off the same square, killing one officer and wounding another. That attack turned out to have been perpetrated by a woman with suspected Islamist militant links, officials said.
Turkey has borne the brunt of attacks from Kurdish separatist forces, leftist and Islamist militants in the past.
The Islamic State has made Turkey a regular target with two bombings last year through its affiliate radical Sunni Muslim group, in the town of Suruc near the Syrian border and in the capital Ankara. The Ankara blasts killed more than 100 people.
- China Connect2020.02.19China’s early victory over coronavirus will benefit India & world: Envoy
- Diplomacy2020.02.18India, Russia sign 14 MoUs for joint defence production
- Diplomacy2020.02.17Jaishankar invokes Indian democracy to resolve Kashmir, pitches for UN reforms
- India and the World2020.02.17India spurns UN chief’s Kashmir mediation offer