In another suicide attack, Turkey has once again borne the brunt of terrorists. An explosion in the heart of Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet tourist district killed around ten people and wounded 15 people on January 12. The Sultanahmet square, close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia is a major tourist area of Turkey’s most populous city.
The authorities are investigating the type of explosive used and who might have been responsible for the attack, according to the Istanbul governor’s office . It said 10 people were killed and 15 wounded but gave no further details. The blast comes just over a year after a female suicide bomber blew herself up at a police station for tourists off the same square, killing one officer and wounding another. That attack turned out to have been perpetrated by a woman with suspected Islamist militant links, officials said.
Turkey has borne the brunt of attacks from Kurdish separatist forces, leftist and Islamist militants in the past.
The Islamic State has made Turkey a regular target with two bombings last year through its affiliate radical Sunni Muslim group, in the town of Suruc near the Syrian border and in the capital Ankara. The Ankara blasts killed more than 100 people.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi
- News2020.09.19NEP sets the vision of developing an equitable and vibrant knowledge society: President Kovind