Escalating tensions between Russia and Turkey continued, with a Russian warship firing warning shots at a Turkish boat as the two vessels threatened to collide.
The incident occurred on December 13, 22 kilometers (13 miles) north of the Greek island of Limnos in the Aegean Sea, according to a statement from the Russian Defence Ministry. The relations between Russia and Turkey have been tense since a Russian jet operating in Syria was shot down by the Turkish military on November 24, that led to the killing of one pilot. A Russian soldier died during a rescue mission that retrieved the surviving crew.
Addressing the Turkish media on December 13, the country’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said more information was needed from the crew aboard the Turkish fishing boat before a proper response could be issued. “We are not on the side of escalating tension, we are on the side of de-escalating tense situations through dialogue,” Mr Cavusoglu said.
A Russian serviceman was filmed on the deck of a naval ship holding what appeared to be a rocket launcher as a Russian warship passed through Istanbul, a few days ago. A treaty between Russia and Turkey allows Russia’s Black Sea fleet access to the Aegean Sea by way of the Bosphorus, which bisects Turkey.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2022.09.29Modi’s Tokyo visit: Abe power will continue to propel India-Japan ties
- Diplomacy2022.09.28War of narratives: Jaishankar takes on the US media for its “biased” coverages
- Diplomacy2022.09.28Days after Modi-Putin meeting, Lavrov backs India for UNSC seat
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody