The escalating geopolitical tensions in the Korean peninsula is likely to be discussed at the Nuclear summit. US President Barack Obama will hold a trilateral meeting with South Korean and Japanese leaders on March 31 on the issue of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), according to a statement by White House.
Mr Obama’s meeting with South Korea’s President Park Geun-hye and Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will be held on the margins of the Nuclear Security Summit, which is scheduled to be held from March 31-April 1. “This meeting will be an opportunity for the three leaders to discuss common responses to the threat posed by North Korea (DPRK) and to advance areas of trilateral security cooperation in the region and globally,” the White House said.
North Korea nuclear tests
Escalating volatility in the region, North Korea conducted a nuclear test on January 6 and used ballistic missile technology to launch a satellite on February 7. The tests were conducted in a series of violations of resolutions of the UN Security Council.
The UN Security Council had unanimously adopted a resolution earlier this month that would impose new and tougher sanctions against North Korea. The UNSC members made a strong pitch for an end to Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile program. The council also pushed for early resumption of the stalled Six-Party Talks.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0
- Events/Seminar2023.04.14Inclusion, Global South to guide India’s G20 presidency