In the backdrop of the Geneva peace talks failing, the US has asked Russia to immediately halt its bombing campaign in Syria. The breakdown in peace talks has exposed the deep rift between world powers aiming to end the five-year conflict.
In Syria, President Bashar al-Assad’s forces made a breakthrough. The troops entered two Shiite villages that had been under siege by rebels after also advancing around the second city Aleppo. Peace talks in Geneva were suspended on February 3 and is expected to resume on February 25, with UN special envoy Staffan de Mistura saying “more work” was needed.
The talks were aimed at ending Syria’s bloody conflict, which has killed more than 260,000 people. This has forced half the country’s people from their homes.
However, French French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius accused Damascus and Russia of creating a hurdle in Geneva with the offensive. Russia has been involved in air strikes in Syria since 2015. Russia says these are targeted at “terrorist organisations” mainly the Islamic State group. Mr Fabius said that, the world powers would hold “in-depth consultations” on their actions at the aid conference in London.
US Secretary of State John Kerry has warned Russia and asked it to halt its bombing of the Syrian opposition.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.11.26Putin visit to India: 2+2 boost for India-Russia ties
- Diplomacy2021.11.2626/11@13: India reminds Pakistan of closure, justice for Mumbai terror victims
- India and the World2021.11.18PM Modi warns world about crypto-currencies falling in wrong hands
- Business with India2021.11.15FTAs with Australia, UK, UAE on fast track: Piyush Goyal