Signalling a compromise to the critics of her open-door policy from within her conservatives on the eve of a party congress, Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel said that she wanted to drastically reduce the number of refugees coming to Germany.
Ms Merkel has resisted pressure from allies within her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) to put a cap on the number of refugees entering Germany, which is expected to top 1 million this year. “At the same time we took on board the concerns of the people, who are worried about the future, and this means we want to reduce, we want to drastically decrease the number of people coming to us,” Ms Merkel said.
Ms Merkel’s popularity in the country has fallen over her handling of the refugee crisis. She said the word “limit” did not feature in the CDU’s main resolution which will be debated at the two-day party congress starting on December 14 in the southern city of Karlsruhe. The strategy of Ms Merkel also includes finding a solution to the migration crisis on the EU level, where she is meeting resistance from member states opposed to a quota system to distribute refugees. Chancellor Merkel has been named as Times Person of the Year due to her achievement in leading Europe in a time of crisis and her humanitarian handling of the refugee problem.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles