Underlining the imperative for finding a political solution to the Libya crisis, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has voiced fears that the North African country will end up in a “full civil war” unless moves are soon made to end the conflict.
Libya conflict could spiral into all-out civil war unless ‘political solution’ reached soon, the UN top diplomat has warned.
“Unless action is taken in the near term, it is highly likely that the current conflict will escalate into full civil war,” Mr Guterres said in his latest report on the UN Support Mission in Libya. He acknowledged the need for the support of the international community in finding a political solution for the Arab country, where forces loyal to renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive to take the capital Tripoli from the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in early April.
“I urge all parties to stop using explosive weapons, including by aerial bombardment or shelling, in populated areas because of their likely indiscriminate effects,” the secretary-general said.
The UN’ top diplomat pitched for a political solution to the festering crisis and strict adherence to an arms embargo in place since 2011.
“A political solution to the Libyan conflict requires the full and united support of the international community,” Mr Guterres said.
“I am concerned by the presence of foreign fighters and mercenaries being employed by parties to the conflict in Libya, as well as by the influx of weapons to the country,” he said.
- Manish Chand is Founder-CEO and Editor-in-Chief of India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) and India and World, a pioneering magazine focused on international affairs. He is CEO/Director of TGII Media Private Limited, an India-based media, publishing, research and consultancy company.
- India and the World2021.05.05Transformational diplomacy: A new India-UK relationship in a new world
- India and the World2021.05.03India, UK to unveil Roadmap 2030, to deepen Indo-Pacific connect
- In Conversation2021.05.02Green Bonding: India has scale & Denmark has skills: Danish Ambassador (Interview)
- Events/Seminar2021.04.08Webinar on India-Bangladesh Maitri 2.0: The Way Forward