In the third attack on an Indian consulate in Afghanistan in the past few days, a group of armed terrorists which included suicide bombers struck the Indian Consulate in Jalalabad that killed nine persons including an Afghan security personnel. The Indian consulate was damaged in the attack. The attack took place on March 2.
Reacting to the attack, India’s External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said: “Indian Consulate in Jalalabad has been attacked. All Indians in the mission are safe but one ANP officer was killed during the gunfire. One suicide bomber blew himself up in front of the mission while another blew himself up along with the car which carried the attackers. Four terrorists were killed by the Afghan securitymen.”
It was reported that there were as many as 1,320 explosions including bomb and grenade blasts during a two-hour gun battle. Confirming that the consulate was damaged in the attacks, Mr Swarup said that the ministry has received an initial report of the attack and subsequent developments by the Afghan Army.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region