India will assess the sincerity of the Pakistan’s Special Investigating Team on probing the Pathankot terror attack before taking a decision to resume the dialogue process between both the countries. India has asked Pakistan to take ‘definite action’ against the Jaish-e-Mohammed militants before a timeline for the talks can be announced. India has alleged that the JeM is the mastermind behind the Pathankot terror attack on January 2.
Reportedly, India has told Pakistan to give five days’ notice before sending a team to India. There have been reports of difference in opinion among Indian intelligence agencies about the terms and conditions to be put in place for the team’s visit.
Pakistan’s envoy to India Abdul Basit has stressed that there should be uninterrupted talks between the two countries for peace and regional stability. Mr Basit made the statement at a function he was addressing in Jaipur. He also said that Kashmir was the root cause of all issues between the two nations, and insisted that there should be an environment of cooperation which can resolve disputes.
In the backdrop of the Pathankot attacks, the bilateral dialogue between the two countries hit a roadblock. The two countries were scheduled to hold Foreign Secretary level talks in January but had to be postponed to a future date after the terror attack.
In the meanwhile, Sartaj Aziz, Pakistan’s Foreign Affairs Adviser to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, has said the India-Pakistan Foreign Secretary-level talks could be resumed soon after Islamabad’s probe team visits Pathankot to investigate the January 2 airbase attack.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security
- India and the World2022.11.11Russia-Ukraine War: India’s Global Balancing Act