In the wake of a spate of drone attacks on Pakistan in recent days which led to the killing of Taliban’s chief Mullah Akhtar Mansour, Pakistan has said that the US drone strikes “must stop” on its territory. Asking the US to curb drone attacks in Pakistan, Army Chief General Raheel Sharif has said that the attacks must stop at the earliest. Pakistan’s demand comes days after American special forces killed Mansour in a drone attack in the Balochistan province.
Briefing the media after attending President Mamnoon Hussain’s address to a joint session of Parliament, Mr Sharif said: “US drone strikes in the Pakistani territory are regrettable and must stop.” Acknowledging Mansour’s death as an “important milestone” and efforts to bring peace to Afghanistan, US President Barack Obama hailed the American forces and said that they would continue to go after threats on the Pakistani soil. “We have removed the leader of an organisation that has continued to plot against and unleash attacks on American and Coalition forces,” Mr Obama said.
Stressing on Pakistan’s combat against terror, Mr Sharif said that the operation against the militants was going on successfully. “We have to maintain the victories of Operation Zarb-e-Azb. Terrorists will not be allowed to re-enter into areas cleared in South Waziristan and North Waziristan,” he added.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism
- India and the World2022.09.23India calls for ending Ukraine conflict, targets China on terror
- India and the World2022.09.16SCO in Samarkand: Modi pitches for enhancing connectivity
- In Conversation2022.09.16India has a big role to play in SCO: Uzbekistan’s SCO coordinator