India and the US are firming up an ambitious agenda for the forthcoming visit of President Barack Obama to New Delhi, with Secretary of State John Kerry flagging off key areas, including economic ties, the India-US nuclear deal and counter-terrorism, which are expected to see “a forward movement” during the presidential visit.
In his discussions with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Mr Kerry conveyed that President Obama is excited to be in India as the chief guest at the Republic Day celebrations and underlined that the US is working with India to bolster the joint battle against terrorism.
“Obama is really happy to be the first US President to be visiting India twice,” Mr Kerry said. “During my discussion with PM Modi and other officials, we reviewed the progress of our economic relationship and how to take it ahead,” he said at the ‘Vibrant Gujarat’ summit in Gandhinagar.
“The US investment in India have risen from $2.4 billion to $28 billion,” Mr Kerry said.
Mr Kerry identified climate change, bolstering defence partnership and energy collaboration as key priority areas in the India-US relations.
“The US will work towards PM Narendra Modi vision to supplying 24/7 electricity to India,” he said. “We are committed to work with India to reach a landmark climate change agreement in Paris at the end of this year,” he underlined.
“The goal is to have very concrete and tangible things that we can show forward movement on when President Obama and Prime Minister Modi meet, including on climate change,” a senior State Department official told reporters.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2022.04.21UK PM unveils £1 billion investment in India