Barely a day after David Coleman Headley had revealed that Pakistan’s ISI funds terror groups like Lashkar-e- Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), Pakistan’s former president and military ruler Pervez Musharraf has confirmed that the ISI trains these terror groups and not the army.
“Pakistan Army is not training civilians. Intelligence organisation on our side as well as on your side is involved,” Mr Musharraf said during an interview to an Indian news channel. On being asked if he sees any progress in the India-Pakistan peace process, Mr Musharraf said: “Everything will stop if you address the core issue. That is what you don’t want to do.” Stressing on the Kashmir issue, Mr Musharraf said that Kashmir continues to arouse passions in Pakistan and anyone fighting in Kashmir is a freedom fighter.
Speaking about the status of the Foreign-Secretary level talks which are yet to take place between the two countries, Mr Musharraf said: “You don’t want [to move forward on the core issue]. You want to bulldoze us, you want to bully us and you want to dominate us. You only want to talk about issues concern you like terrorism, Mumbai and Pathankot. So I don’t feel, core issues are moving forward.”
The statement of Mr Musharraf vindicates India’s long-standing view that terror groups in Pakistan get the backing of the intelligence service ISI. In the backdrop of the Pathankot attacks, India and Pakistan have put the dialogue on hold and are expected to renew the dialogue in the “near future”.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific