Seeking to impart greater momentum to India’s ‘Think West’ policy and multifarious ties with Saudi Arabia, home to around 7 million strong Indian diaspora, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi will prioritize enhancing maritime security and military cooperation during his visit to Riyadh early April. The two countries will be looking to buttress strategic geopolitical and defence ties. India has already indicated that it is interested in carrying out joint naval exercise. India and Saudi Arabia are currently facing security and terrorism challenges, which should encourage greater security cooperation.
The two crucial pacts signed by India and Saudi Arabia, the Delhi declaration in 2006 and the Riyadh declaration in 2010, have helped both the countries to prepare a roadmap for greater security, intelligence sharing and counter-terrorism cooperation. In 2014, India and Saudi Arabia inked a Memorandum of Understanding on defence cooperation to exchange of strategic information, military training and cooperation in security to logistics.
Both countries regularly exchange high level delegations with a view to enhance cooperation between the two armed forces.
Around 2.5 million Indians are working in Saudi Arabia and about 7 million in the larger Gulf region. India imports almost 80% of its oil requirement and a large share come from Saudi Arabia. It is also one of India’s biggest markets.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff
- Africa Insights2020.05.26Pandemic & Beyond: India, Africa to forge defining partnership of next decades: Rahul Chhabra