India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to Sri Lankan Tamil-dominated Jaffna has been termed as “interference in Sri Lanka’s affaires,” by a leading Chinese think tank. The Chinese officials have said that the recent “incidents” in India-Sri Lankan ties are sufficient to merit Beijing’s attention.
International media outlets and foreign experts of various countries, including China, tracked closely Mr Modi’s visit to Colombo. Most of them were convinced that India gained an upper hand when Sri Lanka decided to review $1.5-billion Colombo Port City Project, the biggest planned Chinese investment in the island nation.
According to an article published in state-run Global Times, Mr Modi’s inclusion of Jaffna, the Tamil-majority Northern Providence, in his Colombo trip, amounted to New Delhi’s interference in Sri Lanka’s internal affairs.
The article referred to Sri Lanka’s new government’s decision to review $1.5-billion Colombo Port City Project agreed during the previous Mahindra Rajapaksa’s regime, which saw a massive upsurge in Chinese investments in the island country.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.09.23Defence and security cooperation was a key 21st century pillar for India and Africa : Jaishankar
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi