India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi added yet another feather to his cap by securing the top rank, ahead of China’s President Xi Jinping, in handling domestic as well as international affairs, as per China’s National Image Global Survey 2014, which ranked nine heads of state on different parameters.
The survey, collating responses of 4500 people across nine countries, showed that amongst the leaders’ capability in handling domestic affairs, Mr. Modi led the rest with a score of 3.74 on a scale of five, followed by Mr. Xi (3.58), Mr. Tony Abbott (3.55), Mr. David Cameron (3.53), Mr. Barack Obama (3.48) and Mr. Shinzo Abe (3.37). In the international affairs department too, Mr. Modi scored ahead of Mr. Xi, followed by Mr. Cameron and Mr. Obama.
“Xi’s handling of both domestic and international affairs has won high praise. He ranks second, after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, for his capability of handling domestic and international affairs,” Said Wang Gangyi, vice-president of China International Publishing Group, citing the survey report released in Beijing on March 18.
The survey was aimed at surveying international perception towards global leaders’ domestic and foreign image and policies. It also showed that President Obama was the most well known Head of State, followed by Mr. Putin.
Mr. Modi’s strong leadership in domestic affairs (which is supported by his party’s majority in the Lok Sabha) along with his day one emphasis on foreign affairs, which has given a boost to regional cohesion and diaspora outreach, has been getting global attention, especially since his ‘rockstar’ appearance in his high profile USA visit last year.
The survey reached out to 500 respondents from USA, UK, China, India, Australia, Russia, Japan, Brazil and South Africa. It was jointly conducted by the Centre of International Communication Studies of China Foreign Language Publishing Administration, Millward Brown and Lightspeed GMI.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi
- Diplomacy2021.09.24India, Australia PMs discuss Covid-19, clean energy amid AUKUS row