With Prime Minister Narendra Modi gearing up to visit Russia from December 23-24, an additional visit to Afghanistan is likely on December 25, on his way back from Russia. If the visit is finalized, it will be Mr Modi’s first trip to Afghanistan. There is no official confirmation of the visit so far.
In Kabul, Mr Modi is expected to inaugurate the new Afghan parliament building, which has been built with India’s assistance. The project was initiated by the Indian government in 2007 as a mark of friendship and cooperation to help rebuild war-torn Afghanistan, and is set for completion on December 31.
The new parliament building was due to have been completed in November 2011. However, it has missed at least three completion deadlines over the last four years. In the latest review, conducted by urban development secretary Madhusudan Prasad and the Central Public Works Department, it was found that 96 percent of the work was completed and the project team was putting final touches to the building.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region