Against the backdrop of an upswing in India-Bangladesh ties, West Bengal’s Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is expected to accompany Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Dhaka next month.
The signing of the historic Land Boundary Agreement with Bangladesh, which was ratified by the Indian parliament recently, will be the show-stealer of Mr Modi’s maiden visit to Dhaka that starts June 6.
“The chief minister is visiting Dhaka for the signing of the Land Boundary Agreement. Hope it will cement the ties of India and Bangladesh further,” said West Bengal’s Education and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee.
Besides the land deal, the finalisation of the stalled Teesta water treaty will also be high on the agenda.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh said recently that the Teesta water-sharing accord would be finalised soon. The decision of Mamata Banerjee to accompany Mr Modi to Dhaka has brightened the prospects of the water deal coming to fruition as he was the one who had had blocked the water sharing deal four years ago.
The historic LBA with Bangladesh deals with the transfer of 111 enclaves with cumulative area of 17,160.63 acres to Bangladesh, while Dhaka is to transfer 51 enclaves with an area of 7,110.02 acres to India. A 6.1-km undefined border stretch will be demarcated, following the ratification of the bill passed by parliament.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0
- Events/Seminar2023.04.14Inclusion, Global South to guide India’s G20 presidency