LONDON: An explosion in London’s tube network has left about 29 people severely injured and has put the city on a high alert after the extremist group ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack on its Amaq news website.
The explosion on September 15, though minor in scale, is believed to have been caused by a homemade bomb. This follows a series of terror attacks that have scourged the city. The attacks on London Bridge, outside the UK Parliament and the suicide bombing at Ariana Grand concert, are still fresh in people’s mind.
Social media got flooded with commuters posting pictures and videos of injuries, mainly burns, and an image of a bucket that appears to have carried the explosive. Pictures taken by eyewitnesses of people fleeing from Parsons Green underground station in west London were widely circulated. London underground services were suspended immediately on the stretch of the District line where the incident had been reported.
The terror alert level has been raised to critical by the authorities. The possibility of similar attacks that could closely follow is not being ruled out. Those investigating the attack suggested that a massive damage was averted since the bomb did not fully detonate. The hunt for the suspects is under way. London Mayor Sadiq Khan appealed to people to remain “calm and vigilant” and described the attack as “an attempt by evil and cowardly individuals to kill, to injure and disrupt our way of life.”
“The public will see more armed police on the transport network and on our streets, providing extra protection. This is a proportionate and sensible step which will provide extra reassurance and protection, while the investigation progresses.” Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May assured.
Following the attack US President Donald Trump tweeted “Another attack in London by a loser terrorist. These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!” However, his reaction was not well received either by Theresa May or the city police. Ms May hit back, saying such incidents are not “helpful for anybody to speculate on” since there is an ongoing investigation.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific