In a milestone that pitches India in an exclusive club, the Indian Navy has successfully test-fired for the first time an anti-ship missile from the indigenously-built submarines in the Arabian Sea.
The missile successfully hit a simulated surface target at extended ranges during the trial firing held on March 2, an official statement said.
The missile launch is “a significant milestone not only for the Kalvari class submarines, which is the first in a series of Scorpene class submarines being built in India, but also in enhancing the Indian Navy’s sub-surface warfare capability,” it said.
All six Kalvari class submarines being built in India will be equipped with this anti-ship missile which has a proven record in combat. The missiles will provide the submarines the ability to neutralise surface threats at extended ranges, according to the statement.
The testing of the anti-ship missile by the Indian Navy came a day after India successfully launched a supersonic interceptor missile off the coast of Bay of Bengal in eastern state of Odisha, giving a boost to its ballistic missile defence system.
The successful test-firing of the interceptor missile places India in an exclusive club of five countries which have ballistic missile defence systems.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business with India2020.10.16We have moved from G-7 to G-20 : S. Jaishankar
- THE QUOTE HANGER2020.10.15“Don’t take rest after your first victory because if you fail in second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.” Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- Books / Poetry2020.10.13A Poem by Louis Gluck: The Night Migrations
- News2020.10.10The strength of the NAM family lies in its diversity : V. Muraleedharan