As North Korea battles international isolation, the US has labelled North Korea as a threat. Nuclear-armed North Korea poses an “overt threat, a declared threat to the world”, US Secretary of State John Kerry said in Beijing on January 27. This comes in the wake of Pyongyang’s fourth nuclear test earlier this month.
The US has been pushing for a strong United Nations response to North Korea’s latest atomic blast which Pyongyang claimed was a miniaturized hydrogen bomb. The claim was however, largely dismissed by experts with enhanced sanctions.
Things haven’t been smooth for North Korea internationally after the tests, as even China which is its chief diplomatic protector and economic benefactor, is reluctant to support its move. With the ties becoming strained in recent times between the two countries Beijing has refused to endorse its neighbour’s ambitions for nuclear weapons.
US and China, both permanent members of the UN security council have agreed to try and resolve their differences to arrive at a new resolution. Mr Kerry addressed a joint news conference with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi, during his visit to China.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa