Ending weeks of speculation, Pakistan’s National Security Adviser Sartaz Aziz has said he will visit New Delhi for talks that will focus on addressing issues relating to terror that has clouded relations between the two neighbours since their leaders met in the Russian city of Ufa over a month ago.
“I can confirm that I will be going to India on August 23,” Sartaj Aziz, adviser on foreign affairs to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, told a news conference in Islamabad.
Mr Aziz will hold talks with India’s National Security Adviser Ajit Doval in New Delhi August 23-24. The meeting will take place in the backdrop of the terror attack in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district, blamed on Pakistan-based militants and intensifying cross-border violence that has vitiated atmosphere between the two estranged neighbours.
India is expected to confront Pakistan with evidence of complicity of Pakistan-based elements in the Gurdaspur terror attack and press for fast-tracking the trial of 26/11 Mumbai mayhem accused. Going by recent statements, Islamabad is expected to go on an offensive and trade accusations about India’s alleged role in fomenting insurgency in the restive Balochistan province. The region will be watching closely whether the NSA-level talks succeed in addressing mutual concerns or become another forum for mutual recriminations.
On July 10, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif met in the Russian city of Ufa in a bid to thaw frosty relations and agreed on a NSA-level dialogue to focus on issues concerning terror that have bedevilled relations between the two countries.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2022.04.21UK PM unveils £1 billion investment in India