A couple of days after Brussels terror attacks, a suicide bomber blew himself up in a soccer stadium in the south of the Iraqi capital on March 25 killing 29 people and injuring 60. The attack was carried out soon after Iraqi military announcement that it has made new gains on the ground against the Islamic State (IS). The bombing took place during a match in the small stadium in the city of Iskanderiyah, 30 miles from Baghdad.
The death toll was confirmed by the medical officials. The IS has claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted online. The IS has been carrying out acts of suicide bombings in and around the capital. The Iraq forces and their allies are engaged in fierce battle with militants in the northern and western parts of Iraq.
The bombing occurred moments after Iraq’s military spokesman Yahya Rusoul announced that Iraqi troops and Sunni tribal fighters had recaptured the town of Kubeisa in western Anbar province from the IS. The IS fighters were pushed out of many villages in Iraq’s northern Nineveh province after heavy airstrikes by the coalition forces.
The recent terror attacks by the IS in Brussels and Baghdad have raised concerns about the preparedness of security forces in many countries to prevent such terror attacks.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace