Wrapping up its huge rescue mission in war torn Yemen, as the situation further deteriorates, India’s External Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted- “The evacuation operation from Yemen is over. General V.K. Singh is returning tonight. We are closing our Embassy there.”
In the massive operation, at last count, about 5600 persons (including 960 foreign nationals from 41 different countries) were evacuated. The last evacuation effort was carried out on April 9, when India airlifted 630 Indian nationals by three special Air India flights from Sana’a. Also, Indian Naval Ship INS Sumitra evacuated 349 persons, including 46 Indians and 303 foreign nationals from the Al Hudaydah port.
Giving an update on the situation, Spokesperson of the External Affairs Ministry, Syed Akbaruddin tweeted- “Security situation in Yemen deteriorates further with bomb blast at Aden port today. India completes its air evacuations from Sana’a. Following evacuation by Naval Ships from Al Hudaydah port for remaining nationals over next two days, Embassy in Sana’a will need to shut operations and relocate its personnel.”
Earlier the Indian government had said that embassy will be operational till the situation is conducive. A security assessment was done in March and adequate precautions were taken to secure the embassy premises. However, the fighting has been exacerbated with Saudi led coalition bombings in the South and absence of any clarity easing the situation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles