Underlining the importance of the forthcoming visit of India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the US, the US Senate has unanimously passed a bipartisan resolution designating September 30, the day Mr Modi will hold his maiden summit with President Barack Obama, as the ‘US-India Partnership Day.’
Mr Modi will be in Washington Sept 29-30 for his first meeting with Mr Obama. President Obama will host a private dinner for the Indian leader onSeptember 29, which will be followed by full-spectrum talks between the two leaders in September 30.
The resolution was introduced by senators Mark Warner of Democratic Party and John Cornyn from Republican Party, co-chairmen of the Senate India Caucus, on September 17. It was passed unanimously moments om September 19, moments before the Senate was adjourned.
The resolution states that the Senate “designates September 30, 2014 as the ‘United States and India Partnership Day’ recognizing the contribution of the US and India to one another and their relationship that will continue to help define the 21st century.” It underlined that that the relationship between the two countries is “a special and permanent bond”.
President Obama has famously described the India-US relationship as the defining partnership of the 21st century. Modi’s visit to the US is expected to galvanise and infuse a fresh burst of energy in this vital strategic partnership that had drifted in the last few month of the previous Manmohan Singh government in Delhi.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff
- Africa Insights2020.05.26Pandemic & Beyond: India, Africa to forge defining partnership of next decades: Rahul Chhabra