Amidst farmers’ protest, the relations between India and the UK have taken an unpleasant turn with gratuitous discussion in the British Parliament on agricultural reforms.In the discussion, the British MPs accused India of violating human and civil rights not only of farmers, but of Kashmiris as well. A Labour MP of PoK origin called for sanctions against India and seizure of any UK-based assets belonging to PM Modi or the figures in BJP.
Incensed, India has issued a demarche to Britain expressing its opposition and displeasure to the “unwarranted and tendentious discussion” and gross interference in the politics of another democratic country. Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla summoned UK’s High Commissioner Alex Ellis and conveyed that “British MPs should refrain from practicing vote-bank politics by misrepresenting events, especially in relation to another fellow democracy.”
In a statement, the Indian high commission in London said it “had taken note of the distinctly one-sided discussion” sparked by a petition on press freedoms and protester safety in India. “We deeply regret that false assertions — without substantiation or facts — were made, casting aspersions on the largest functioning democracy in the world and its institutions”, it said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific