Against the backdrop of growing tensions in the South China Sea, Chinese naval forays into the Indian Ocean and the American pivot towards Asia, India and China have held their first consultation on disarmament, non-proliferation and arms control in Beijing, widely seen as a trust-building exercise between the two Asian giants.
In the run up to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Beijing in May, Amandeep Singh Gill, Joint Secretary Disarmament and International Affairs of the External Affairs Ministry, met Wang Qun, Director General of the Arms Control Department of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and experts on disarmament from the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association (CACDA), a Chinese think tank.
“Discussions were cordial and substantive and covered all current items on the international disarmament and non- proliferation agenda, including export controls,” said the Indian embassy in Beijing.
During the talks on April 18, both sides underlined the importance of constant bilateral dialogue in order to further diversify the existing multifaceted relationship and decided to continue their fruitful discussions at the next round of meetings.
The two Asian giants, often painted as rivals, have had a plethora of political, diplomatic, and military engagements over the past year.
Earlier in April, the seventh Annual Defence and Security Dialogue (ADSD), a platform for the engagement between the defence ministries of the two countries, saw the two sides assess the regional security situation and discuss more CBMs on the border issue
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Africa Insights2022.07.20Jaishankar outlines new triad for India-Africa ties: health digital and green growth
- Diplomacy2022.07.20India, Africa co-partners in economic growth: Piyush Goyal
- India and the World2022.07.15I2U2 Quad unveils plans for making India regional food hub
- News2022.07.11Modi unveils National Emblem cast on the roof of the new Parliament