A new imperial era in Japan, christened “Reiwa,” is set to begin on May 1 when Crown Prince Naruhito is expected to take the throne.
The name of the new imperial era, symbolising hopes of a new Japan, was announced by Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s chief cabinet secretary, in Tokyo on April 1. The two characters that make up the new name, translate roughly to “good fortune” and “peace” or “harmony,” according to The Japan Times.
“We hope [the era name] will be widely accepted by the people and deeply rooted as part of their daily lives,” Mr Suga told reporters.
The curtains will come down on the current “Heisei” era after three decades when the 85-year-old Emperor Akihito steps down on April 30 in the first abdication of the throne in over 200 years.
According to Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Reiwa symbolises the beauty of traditional Japanese values. “Our nation is facing up to a big turning point, but there are lots of Japanese values that shouldn’t fade away,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said at a news conference in explaining the name.
The year 2019 will become the first year of the new era, or Reiwa 1, used on official documents, coins, driver’s licenses and newspapers, by businesses and in everyday life from May 1 in parallel with the Western, or Gregorian, calendar.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff
- Africa Insights2020.05.26Pandemic & Beyond: India, Africa to forge defining partnership of next decades: Rahul Chhabra
- Africa Insights2020.05.26It’s time for Indian companies to Make in Africa: Eritrea Ambassador