The meeting is expected to explore possibilities of declaring the year 2016-17 as the SAARC Year for Cultural Heritage, and the formation of a new SAARC body, called the SAARC Heritage Committee.
The meeting is being held in Delhi at a time when the new Indian government has been pushing for enhanced economic and cultural relations among SAARC nations. Six of the seven states invited to the event have already confirmed that they will be attending the event. Pakistan is expected to confirm soon.
The SAARC Heritage Committee, much like the UNESCO, will “cover all aspects of heritage management”, and function under the auspices of SAARC Cultural Centre, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The Third Meeting of SAARC Cultural Ministers will also discuss the potential of holding SAARC cultural festivals in member states, cooperation in areas of libraries, archives, museums, performing arts and conservation activities.
India’s delegation leader, as the host nation, will be elected as the chairman of the meeting, as per the SAARC practice.
Shripad Yesso Naik, India’s Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Culture and Tourism, is expected to head the meeting.
The delegates will also be taken on day-long trip to the iconic Taj Mahal where they will witness a cultural programme organised by the Archaeological Survey of India. The event is also the prelude to a three-day
SAARC Dance Festival in Delhi from September 26-28.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi