The nomination was, however, disputed by Maliki who declared it legally invalid and an “error” that would be rectified. In a dramatic television address to the nation a desperate Maliki spoke of his role as the head of the State of Law and the Dawa party and reprimanded the move to oust him.
“I am Nouri al-Maliki, and I am the head of State of Law, and I am the head of Dawa [party], and no one has the right to deal under our name without my approval.”
On August 10, Maliki had also threatened to sue to the president and deployed security forces at key areas in and around Baghdad.
Under Iraq’s constitution, Haider has 30 days to form an inclusive government during which Maliki will be a caretaker leader and commander in chief of Iraq’s security forces.
Within the given time-frame, the 62 year old Abadi will have to seek . support among the minority Kurds and Sunnis to form the government. However, he will be encouraged by the support from US’ President Barack Obama, who announced August 11 that choosing Abadi was “a promising step forward.” Obama has underlined that “the only lasting solution is for Iraqis to come together and form an inclusive government.”
The US has also made increased aid conditional to Iraq forming a government that represents the country’s different religious and ethnic groups.
Maliki, who has been Iraq’s premier for eight years, has been criticised for being authoritarian and alienating Sunnis, thus creating an environment that has allowed Sunni Jihadist like the Islamic State to seize control of large swathes of the Iraqi territory.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.06.27In Alpine resort, Modi calls for creating pro-planet people
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi