A prominent street in the heart of the Indian capital has been named after Bangladesh’s founder and iconic leader Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. It’s a gesture that will surely touch the heart of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who began her four-day visit to India on April 7.
The decision to rename the Park Street, stretching from Shankar Road-Mandir Marg traffic roundabout to Mother Teresa Crescent in front of state-owned Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, was taken by the New Delhi Municipal Council a day before Sheikh Hasina touched down in the Indian capital.
NDMC took the decision by a circular motion. The road named after Bangabandhu measures a little more than half a kilometre.
“It has been decided to rename Park Street after founder of Bangladesh –Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman– ahead of Sheikh Hasina’s visit. This is like a friendly gesture as India shares cordial relations with Bangladesh,” a senior NDMC official said.
“The decision was arrived at through a circular motion as a Council meeting could not be convened for the purpose due to paucity of time and with the model code of conduct being in place because of coming civic body polls in Delhi,” he added.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific