In a boost for India’s credentials as a vaccine power, the United States has given approval to travellers vaccinated with Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin to enter the country. The revised rules will come into effect from November 8, when the US is poised to open its borders to vaccinated foreign travellers.
“CDC’s travel guidance applies to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved/authorised and World Health Organisation (WHO) Emergency Use Listing (EUL) vaccines and encompasses any new vaccines that may be added to either of those lists over time,” said US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) press officer Scott Pauley. This decision came a day after the CDC acknowledged the WHO’s granting of an emergency use listing to Covaxin, India’s indigenously-developed vaccine.
The WHO explained that the Technical Advisory Group, convened by the organisation, has determined that the Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine meets WHO standards for protection against the virus. The new US travel rules will also accept travelers who are fully vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Oxford-AstraZeneca, Covishield, Sinopharm and Sinovac Covid-19 vaccines.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security
- India and the World2022.11.11Russia-Ukraine War: India’s Global Balancing Act
- India and the World2022.11.08Jaishankar in Moscow: Focus on Ukraine peace, trade and investment