Amid the India-Pakistan bonhomie which was witnessed during the recent evacuation of their nationals in Yemen, the old ghost of Islamabad’s alleged indifference has surfaced again with New Delhi reacting sharply to the recent Lahore High Court order setting aside the detention of 26/11 accuseed Zakirur Rehman Lakhvi.
“Our concerns on this issue have been made known to the Government of Pakistan in the past. These shall be reiterated,” Syed Akbaruddin, the spokesperson of India’s external affairs ministry said.
“The fact is that known terrorists not being effectively prosecuted constitutes a real security threat for India and the world,” he said. “This also erodes the value of assurances repeatedly conveyed to us with regard to cross border terrorism,” underlined the spokesperson.
New Delhi’s reaction came hours after the Lahore high court suspended the detention of 55-year-old Lakhvi under Maintenance of Public Order Act after the government failed to present sensitive records against him in the court.
The judge ordered Lakhvi to submit two surety bonds worth Rs 1 million each for his release.
Pakistan’s prolonged prevarication over expediting justice to 26/11 perpetrators continue to cast a shadow over the prickly relations between India and Pakistan.
New Delhi’s sharp reminder to Islamabad over 26/11 justice came amidst a new spirit of cooperation that was seen in the efforts by India and Pakistan to evacuate each other’s nationals from the violence-torn Yemen.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- News2021.05.14India fighting Covid on a war footing: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2021.05.14In Solidarity: Italy sends more Covid-19 relief to India
- China Connect2021.05.10China provides oxygen, ventilators to bolster India’s anti-Covid fight
- Diplomacy2021.05.08Trade and beyond: a new impetus to the EU-India Partnership