In yet another significant achievement for the Indian diaspora, US President Barack Obama has appointed Indian born Ajay Banga to a key administration post. Mr Banga, a prominent NRI and famous name in corporate world, has been appointed as a member of the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity.
As the CEO of MasterCard, Mr Banga has been vocal on issues pertaining to cyber security especially in the banking and financial services. Mr Banga has earlier served as the CEO of Citigroup Asia-Pacific. An alumnus of the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, he has also played a crucial role in bolstering India-US relations through his role in the US-India Business Council and other community related groups. He is also a member of the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations since 2015.
The Obama administration selected nine members to the commission, according to a White House statement. “I have charged the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity with the critically-important task of identifying the steps that our nation must take to ensure our cybersecurity in an increasingly digital world,” Mr Obama said. “These dedicated individuals bring a wealth of experience and talent to this important role, and I look forward to receiving the Commission’s recommendations,” he added.
The rise of Mr Banga shows the growing prominence of Indian-Americans and their inclusion by the Obama administration. The role of the Indian diaspora has played a crucial role in enhancing India-US relations in recent times.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.11.26Putin visit to India: 2+2 boost for India-Russia ties
- Diplomacy2021.11.2626/11@13: India reminds Pakistan of closure, justice for Mumbai terror victims
- India and the World2021.11.18PM Modi warns world about crypto-currencies falling in wrong hands
- Business with India2021.11.15FTAs with Australia, UK, UAE on fast track: Piyush Goyal